Thursday, August 24, 2006

Feature Update

Yesterday I added a couple new features to onXiam. They are two "gadgets" that appear in the right-hand sidebar, one on your public user page and the other on the site directory page.

Similar People
On your public user page, you should notice a gadget called "Similar People" in the right-hand sidebar. Take a look at my page for an example.

I'm starting to have enough data into the system that I can attempt the creation of interesting queries to see what the data can reveal. This is the first one that I've made. The way it works is this:

I check to see on which sites you have an identity -- excluding any you have set to private.
I compare this to everyone else's site lists to see if there are any "perfect matches" and then display to you the top ten "most similar" people to you along with a count of how many sites you share.

My hope is that this may get you to explore these other people's profiles and find that while you may share 10 of the same sites, perhaps they are active on a site that you had not heard of, and as a result of this you may find something really interesting that you want to join.

Most Popular
This one is exactly what it sounds like. I've simply written a query to count which sites have the most identities associated with them, and I'm displaying the top ten results here along with the person count.

I think that in the future, I'm going to be able to make some more interesting connections between the data, so consider this just the first pass. Is there anything in particular that you would like to see? Use your imagination and think about how this data could be tied together and presented in interesting ways. If you come up with anything, please leave me a comment!

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home