Thursday, August 03, 2006

New Features: Sites and Site Details

Last night I launched the much-overdue add a site functionality. In addition to this, I also created a couple other pages. These have actually been up for a few days now, but this is the first chance that I've had to write about them.

In the top navigation, you will now see two new links: Sites and People

Sites
Previously if you wanted to know what sites were available on onXiam, you had to do some searching. Literally. If you went to the search page, you could see all available sites listed in the site dropdown box. But that wasn't the most intuitive place to learn about what sites are available on onXiam. Something else was needed.

I decided to create a site directory of sorts. This is a simple alphabetical list of all sites that are available on onXiam. Each of these site names is also a hyperlink. Clicking on a sitename takes you to a detail page about that particular site. Here you will see a headcount of how many of that sites' users are active on onXiam as well as both their onXiam username and their username on that given site. Whew! That was a mouthful!

People
I toyed around with the idea of making the people page a directory of sorts too, but for now I've decided against it. Instead I'm displaying the most recent people to join onXiam as well as a link to the search page where you can search for specific users.

All of this is just serving to "round out" some parts of the site that I wanted to have live when it launched, but due to time constraints I just wasn't able to have it all ready. But with this done, and with the "add a site" functionality launched, now I'm going to try to get to work on some more interesting and fun things for the site!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home