Monday, July 24, 2006

Weekend Update - The Good and the Bad

Somehow during a weekend of 75-90 degree days, I managed to find the time to get to work on some of the new features that are on my list for onXiam. After many hours of struggling with some stupid mistakes (you know, the ones that are staring you right in the face and you still don't see them), I finally had the site stable again with a long overdue new feature: static URLs!

That's right. Instead of my profile page being http://www.onxiam.com/user.aspx?kevinkmp, now it is http://www.onxiam.com/people/kevinkmp/. As you can see from the first link, the old way still works, but yes, now you can have a nice clean URL for your homepage on onXiam. I know that this should not be a difficult thing to implement, but let me just say this: When using asp.net on a shared webhost, it is incredibly difficult. But alas, that is all in the past, for now let us all celebrate with joy and marvel at the beautiful new URLs. Please. Celebrate. Now!

While I was working on this feature, I put up a message in the header section of all pages explaining that I was promoting code. I'll continue to do that in the future as well. For the most part, the site will remain functional, but there will be times when I have to do a hard IIS reset, so if you happen to be logged in at that moment, you'll get bumped out to the login screen once the reset takes place. Sorry about that, but these little annoyances come hand-in-hand with new features.

One thing that I feel really bad about is that due to the URL stuff taking much longer than I anticipated, I did not get the "add a site" page up and running like I had said I would. I am really sorry, but I just ran out of time. However, that is priority #1 as of right now, and it will be up ASAP.

But for now, please enjoy the brand spankin' new URLs.

2 Comments:

Blogger SignpostMarv said...

404 Error. This and associated pages need a 301 code.

Loving the directory styleness. Should make moving to *AMP go smoother. Here's hoping anyway :-D

7:01 PM  
Blogger Kevin Poulsen said...

Thanks for catching that 404 error. I've put in a fix for it so now you should get redirected to the correct clean url.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home