Friday, July 14, 2006

New Sites Added

I've added a bunch of new sites to the onXiam collection. In order to keep people better appraised of when new sites get added, I decided to add a section to the Latest page featuring the 20 most recent sites that have been added. Of course, this has also been enabled as a feed in case you want to monitor what new sites get added.

I realized as I put this together that watching this feed would be beneficial for two reasons:
  1. You see a site name and say "Hey, I participate in that community! I'm going to add it to my profile!"
  2. You see a site name and say "Hmm...I've never even heard of that before. I wonder what it is? I'm going to go check it out..."
As I was building this initial version of onXiam, I was amazed at just how many communities there are online. Not surprised, just amazed. I feel like I am pretty active online, but I feel like a hermit when I see the myriad of communities that are available! Hopefully onXiam will have a positive impact on that front as well.

Organize your identities and at the same time, discover new communities in which you are interested.

6 Comments:

Blogger lightsup55 said...

Could you add Xbox Live (using this image or something similar) and have the link point to http://live.xbox.com/member/Gamertag? So if my Gamertag is lightsup55, the link would be http://live.xbox.com/member/lightsup55

1:44 PM  
Blogger Kevin Poulsen said...

Consider it done!

I added Xbox Live to onXiam. I couldn't get the graphic that you linked to to scale down small enough, so I ended up just using the Xbox logo of the circle with the X in it. You can see an example on my profile.

But you can go ahead and add your Xbox Live identity now. One thing to note is that in order for the link to work, you must be logged into Microsoft Passport. If you're not logged into Passport, then the link to your Xbox Live profile will just take you to a login screen, then to your profile after logging in. Whew! What a run-on sentence that was!

3:27 PM  
Blogger lightsup55 said...

I know. It sucks that a viewer must have at at least a reserved Xbox Live Gamertag on Xbox.com in order to view someone else's Gamer Profile.

Say if the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii comes out and they both have a service similar to Xbox Live. If a PlayStation fan, who has never owned an Xbox or Xbox 360, visits lets say my onXiam identities page, they might want to view my Xbox Live Gamer Profile (out of curiosity). And thats where the problem comes in (that I mentioned earlier).

Maybe there is a way to add a JavaScript code that'll prompt the user for action saying that they'll need to create an account to view that page or something. vBulletin I think utilizes this for the Logout feature.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

add craigslist as a community please

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Guild Wars?

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might want to add PodNova too ;)

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home