Friday, July 28, 2006

Slow and Steady

It's been four days since my last post...let me catch you up on what I've been doing and where things are in regards to a site update.

First of all, it's been a busy week at my day job. Couple that with training for my third Chicago Marathon in the evenings after work in heat that has been in the 90+ degree range with dreadful amounts of humidity and what do you get? You get an extremely tired developer who is not getting home to eat dinner until 8 or 9pm every night. Translation: Work on the site has been a bit slow this week. However, just because it is slow does not mean that it is not happening.

Like they say to novice marathoners: Slow and steady will get you to the finish line.

I've been working an hour here and an hour there...basically whenever I can. When I'm out doing my training runs, I'm working. I'm thinking through logic and trying to figure out solutions for features that I want to put in as well as suggestions that I've received from the community. When I get home, I try to build a bit of code. Add another function or start another page. And I'm happy to say that it has been paying off.

I'm in the final stages of testing the long-awaited "Add a site to onXiam" functionality. I've tried to simplify the process as much as I possibly could. Instead of asking you, the end user, to do complex thinking, I've tried to encapsulate all of that complexity on the backend as much as I can. I won't lie...It has not been easy, but I feel that the result is pretty straightforward. I've managed to make it almost the same as the current "add an identity" page. I just need you to give a little bit more info in order to make the site available to everyone. Once the page gets launched, I'll be happy to hear your thoughts about it, and if I can improve it in any way, I will.

It still needs just a bit more testing, but it is close. Look for it this weekend for sure.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found unknowntales.net through onXiam, and I signed up. It looks really cool, but the thing I liked most was the profile area that allows you to enter your onXiam account name!

Yes! This is how it's supposed to work!

I look forward to more services adding a similar field to their profile areas.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Kevin Poulsen said...

Great to hear, Baba. I was happy to see the onXiam field included on UnknownTales too!

If you found it via onXiam, who knows who else will also! It's great to read that people are using onXiam to discover new-to-them online communities.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home